About Me

Born Aberystwyth. Student London and Wells;in Birmingham U chaplain, theatre critic, arts administrator, as a poet pt posts at Warwick (Writing Programme) and Birmingham U (Lifelong Learning) U; residencies at poetry festivals, in psychiatric and general hospitals and at Worcester Cathedral; Birmingham Poet Laureate 1997-98, has won 1st and 2nd in National Poetry Comp.. My Running out, Five Seasons Press is a collecting together of work since Setting the poem to words (1998) and Crag Inspector (2002). My ancestry is in London, mainly the East End (and South Essex), where people I can trace came from across the country in the late 18th to mid-19thC. Names include on my father's side: Hart, Restell, Lewis, Yelverton, Copeland, Wrenn,. And on my mother's side: Cole, Brown, Stanley, Pond, Bradley. I am an elected Member of the Welsh Academy. Titanic Cafe poem booklet 2009 and Misky (Flarestack). 2012-13 Library of Birmingham Poet. Library Inspector or The One Book Library (Nine Arches, 2015). Currently working on poems.Email djhart11(at)mac.com.

Tuesday 5 June 2007

Sarah Ann Hart in Eastcheap 1851

Sarah Ann Hart's husband, John William Hart, is a mystery to me. He is missing from any census with her. His only appearance known to me is in his son William's marriage (to Mary Ann Copeland) certificate, 1858 in Stepney - and he may not even have been present - as an eating house keeper. There seems as with other branches of my ancestry to have been a movement from central London & the City, eastwards.

Sarah Ann & I suppose William John had a daughter, also Sarah Ann, and two sons, William and Henry. Sarah was nee Thomas, her widowed mother Sarah Thomas, said to have been born in Armagh, Ireland, was with her and the children in 1841 at Talbot Court, St Benet Gracechurch.

The Copelands: Mary Ann was daughter of Robert, a carman, born Stepney, and Susan (nee Wrenn) born Hoddesdon, Herts. Robert's parents were Robert, also a carman, born Shoreditch, and Emma, nee Webb, born Hyde, Wilts. In 1851 they were all living at 11, High Street, Whitechapel, and in 1861 some of them at 30, Anglesea St, Bethnal Green. The shift then was to Alfred St (later named Shandy St) in Mile End, where William Hart was a fellowship porter and Mary Ann was a collar maker.

My grandfather, Alfred Chappell Hart, b.1887, is something of a mystery. Although his b.certificate shows his parents as Alfred Hart and Alice Harriet Hart nee Copeland, that second mix of Hart and Copeland looks strange and that middle name 'Chappell' has no precedent within what I know of his ancestry. In no census does he appear with his parents (nor can they be found together), and seems from the records to have been brought up by his grandmother. He was a cork sorter, married to Sarah Elizabeth Restell, a tailor, nee Lewis, and when I - as a child - knew them they lived in Coutts Rd near the Regents Canal, those streets between the canal and Burdett Rd now demolished & become Mile End Park.

1 comment:

Karen Paul said...

Greetings everyone, my name is Karen Paul I am from wales I have heard about this loan officer called Mr Benjamin Lee and his investors that are helping people with loans all around the world truly I found people testified about his wonderful work and I was surprised why I did not find this company on time. I never believed what the people said about the company until I apply and gave it a try the amount I was looking for was big and it was for a real estate the loan amount was $10.5 million US dollars and so I applied and Mr Benjamin lee talked to me but since my loan was large it took just 5 working days to receive my loan cause they told me there loan service was 48 hours to receive loan. The only thing he told me to do was to deposit the application fee which the it's was processing fee to process my loan  when he told me that once I was afraid it was a scam but I said let me give it a try I deposited the application fee which was stated and that was all I deposited behold in less than 5 working days like he said truly I received a message from my bank that sum amount of money which was $10.5 million US dollars has been credited in my bank account and everything about the money the details and who it came from was there behold it was Mr Benjamin Lee loan company who helped me when i first saw it I was surprised i never believed my eyes but it was true. So I told my self since other people that the company helped testified about there good deeds let me do mine cause to not easy to see a legit loan company online this days so anyone from anywhere who needs an online loan without getting cheated apply from this company cause they only that can help i have confirmed it and it is true I am so happy and I know this company will make other people happier than me. You can contact this company via mail or Whatsapp but I used Whatsapp cause it was faster mail address of the company is +1 989-394-3740, 247officedept@gmail.com. Thanks everyone regards from Karen Paul from Wales.